Tuesday 7 January 2014

Shoes! Music! Poneys!

Despite boiling with excitement about the good online sales, I never ever buy anything on there either because my size is out of stock, or because when they have my size I never think the price's gone down enough. Or, hypothesis c) the post-Christmas capital shortage I always seem to be affected by. Anyway, I was looking through net-a-porter and mytheresa.com and decided to just pick stuff that I'd buy if price and size weren't an issue. You know, as if I lived in Dreamsville and rode my poney to work everyday, only everyday was saturday so I never had to work.

Since this was hypothetical anyway, I threw in some music too. Basically, I have no idea what this post is about. Consider yourself warned:


Shoe-sales & music titles


From top left, clockwise: those yellow and nude Nike Air Max got me thinking of Donovan's 'they call me mellow yellow' (that's right!) - sooooo chilled out -.  while Simone Rocha's patent pale pink brogues with a clear heel somehow brought up the melancholy in John Grant's music, which, apart from his refined humor, is really what I like most about his songs.



There's something so light, so immaterial and conceptual about these shoes, that I find irresistibly captivating - kind of like a shy person sitting in a corner that you can't stop looking at. I love how they sort of emulate this idea of nothingness and abstraction. You look at them and you go 'MEH!', but in a great way! Then,  on the absolute other end of the spectrum, and because my eye usually prefers to wander towards the shiny stuff (it's the diva in me, but don't be fooled by the rocks that I've got, I'm still - I'm still Jenny from the block), I had to pick the Saint Laurent chelsea boots and those  mega sexy Alexander McQueen's ankle boots; to me they both evoke sexy guitar riffs like the ones  following the chorus in 'Gold on the Ceiling' by The Black Keys.



Listen, if you have no desire to dance on top of a table and rip your clothes off when you listen to this you better go get your head checked. Your soul may have escaped through one of your head holes.

Then on a blend of rock and mellow notes, or as I would call it, the best of both worlds, you have the Fendi sandals, which somehow even manage add a layer of retro to the equation. I love them. Again, switching to music, not many other could tie up all this referential mess together like David Bowie.


Which is also why you have those super duper cool Nicholas Kirkwood slippers up there. How crazy are they? There's no explanation for those. They are just retrofuturistic perfection (like David Bowie!),  a sculptural shoe reminiscent of the optic 60's, resemblig something that I'd want to admire on my shelf or hang on my wall rather than wear on my feet. Every single aspect of this shoe is unexpected and incongruent, which is why I like it so very much. Again, like David Bowie. PRESS PLAY!






No comments: